Saturday, September 27, 2008

Day 132 - USA Tour - Raton, NM

Sightseeing Mileage in Denver area: 15
Starting Mileage Littleton: 10,782
Ending Mileage arriving Raton, NM: 11,007
Miles Driven: 225
Avg. MPG: 8.7
Gas Price: $3.78--Raton, NM

Overnight: Raton, New Mexico
Raton KOA
Travel Day

This morning as we were preparing to leave Chatfield State Park, we looked upward and saw a couple of ballooners going upward. Three tried to get up and two made it. But, one was too far away to capture on film.



As I was pulling in the slide-out, I noticed that only one side was moving inward. Not a good sign. So, Dave checked it out and realized that a bolt had broken underneath. He was able to fix it temporarily. But, we'll have to stop somewhere on the way and get a couple of replacement bolts.

Between the balloons and the bolts, we got a late start, which was not good because we have over 200 miles to drive today. But, we'll get to our next stop, eventually!

We drove by the Air Force Academy where Dave said that Josh Clements (from our Arbor Pointe Church) attended. As we were driving by, I took this shot of their stadium. And, then I looked up to see a row of sky divers coming down. I guess they were on a training mission.



The terrain was mostly flat and downhill today with a lot of dessert fauna. We saw lots of pronghorn antelope with babies in tow. Many of the "families" were co-mingled with grazing cattle.





We stopped in Pueblo, CO, to eat at Black-eyed Pea. Most have closed down throughout the country, so I was glad to eat at one again. I think they have great food, so not really sure why they didn't make a go of it--not that my opinion is the end all for fine foods!

Coming into New Mexico, we spotted this sign. Not one you see in Georgia, that's for sure!



Heading into New Mexico



After our lunch, we drove to Lowe's to get some bolts for the slide-out. I hope it won't be too difficult for Dave to re-inset a bolt.

We arrived at Raton, NM, for our overnight stay. They parked us in one of two sites that seem to be in the middle of the road. But, I insisted on good WiFi, so this was supposed to be the best spot.



When I logged on, Dave's laptop would not accept their settings because of some security settings that didn't match. I was able to log on with my laptop, so I wondered if this was a VISTA issue. I called the office and they sent over their "expert." The expert was unable to workaround the error. After he left I tried different options and finally got the WiFi to work. So, I called the office with my findings so if anyone else had this problem, they could reset their laptop to work with their settings. I felt accomplished!

I am still not feeling well and wondering if it was something I ate or the affects of altitude sickness. Just not sure. I'm just icky with intestinal upset.

We just nibbled for dinner as we were still full from our lunch.

From now on, I'm going to have to make sure we have good TV reception. All the new shows will start this week. Well, it's off to bed for me. Did a lot of crocheting today and now it's time to read more of The Shack.

No comments: